One Project at a Time

That’s how I’ve got to get back into blogging, I think! The backlog of interesting projects has grown considerably. Let’s start with this one.


Around June, I decided to make myself a 6th-century outfit along the lines of this or this. In fact, I relied heavily on those two interpretations, since I wasn’t able to locate many of the sources I wanted. (I did find the Crocker book.) The result is, I hope, a “generic” early Kentish or Frankish look. While not something I would subject to academic scrutiny, the finished product is warm, comfortable, and lots of fun to wear.

I also solicited opinions about cut and style from very patient friends and family, who were subjected to numerous variations on the following:

I know. I’m a terrible friend.

By the time we’d decided to go to Pennsic, I had produced a reasonable approximation of my idea.

Further notes on the construction:


All wool and completely hand-sewn, this was the most time-consuming part of the outfit. The cuffs are finished with tablet weaving as per this tutorial. I was hesitating over the neckline until a kindly friend gave me some beautiful finger-woven trim that just happened to be a perfect match. I stayed up late the night before Pennsic sewing the trim to the jacket… so naturally, I left the whole damn thing behind.

Fillet and veil

I wove the fillet using red 60/2 silk for the background and two strands of gold-wrapped Japanese embroidery thread for the brocade pattern. It’s not what they would have used in period, but it’s what I had!


I bought four bronze brooches from Raymond’s Quiet Press. They are nice, sturdy things, and the price is excellent. (Some day I’d like a set of these bow brooches, but you have to draw the line somewhere.)

Ring pouch

At almost the last minute, I threw together (by which I mean painstakingly handsewed) a ring pouch to go along with the ensemble. It is essential for schlepping around highly authentic accessories such as my smartphone.

Speaking of Pennsic shopping, I picked up a few other goodies. Here’s one of my favorites:


The whorl is from Egill’s Woodstuffs, and I whittled the shaft out of a dowel. After a bit of testing and tweaking, this has actually become one of my favorite spindles to use.

Well, it’s a start. I have many more photos to share with you!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s